The Medical Assistance Transportation Program (MATP)

In Pike County call (570) 296-3408 or 1-866-681-4947

If you or anyone in your family is a Medical Assistance recipient, you may be able to get help with transportation you need to get to and from medical providers. The Medical Assistance Transportation Program (MATP) provides rides to medical care at no cost to you. You can also get mileage reimbursement if you use your own car or find someone willing to give you a ride.

  • Where can you go with MATP?

    You can use MATP services to get to any health care service that is covered by Medical Assistance. That includes appointments with your doctor, dentist, psychologist or psychiatrist, drug and alcohol treatment clinics, or any other MA provider. You can also use MATP to go to the pharmacy for prescriptions, to the hospital for tests, or to get to medical equipment suppliers.

    If you are enrolled in the Medical Assistance ACCESS Plus Program, you can use MATP services to get to your selected or assigned Personal Care Physician (PCP) and any specialist to whom your PCP refers you. You can use MATP to go to the behavioral health provider who can meet your needs.

    If you belong to Healthchoices or an (MCO) for services, you are able to access behavioral health services anywhere in the MCO network.

    If you do not belong to an MCO or the ACCESS Plus Program, but you receive your health care through MA fee for service, you can use MATP to go to the nearest Medical Assistance provider who can meet your needs. You can go to a more distant provider if you give the MATP information that you medically need to go to that provider.

  • How is transportation provided?

    The MATP provides rides in the least costly way to meet your needs. You will be assessed by the program office to determine the mode of transportation to be provided. If you have access to a vehicle or someone with a vehicle, you may be determined to be mileage reimbursement eligible. If you are not able to provide or procure your own transportation, you may be determined eligible for paratransit eligible. Currently Mass transit is not available at Pike County.

    • Milage Reimbursement

      PIKE COUNTY MATP provides mileage reimbursement at the rate of $.25 cents per mile, and also reimburses you for any parking and turnpike toll costs involved in your trip. Receipts are required for reimbursement. Once a consumer is determined eligible for mileage reimbursement, it is not changeable until a re-assessment is performed at the Program Office at 506 Broad Street Milford PA 18337.
      All trips must be verified as medically eligible, by a medical assistance health care provider. Forms and receipts are due at the 15th of the following month for reimbursement within two weeks. Once processed, the payment will be dispersed from the County Offices at 506 Broad St. Milford.

    • Paratransit Transportation

      If the Program Office determines you eligible for the Shared Ride para-transit transportation, you will be notified of the scheduling process. The Shared Ride program means you will be riding with other passengers. Depending on where you need to go, MATP can arrange a ride for you using vans, accessible vehicles for persons with disabilities, or taxis.

  • How to register for MATP services.

    If you are in need of MATP services call your county MATP to “register”. In PIKE COUNTY you call 1-866-681-4947. You will be asked for your ACCESS card number to make sure you are eligible for MATP services, and you will be asked a few questions about your need for transportation.

    • Make sure you tell the MATP about any special needs you may have like: if you use a wheelchair or walker; if you have any problem that keeps you from riding in a bus or van with other people; or if you need to have someone go with you to your appointments.
    • If you are registering a child who is under 18, a parent or guardian must accompany the child to their appointments at no cost to you.

Important: You can obtain transportation services while you are completing the registration process. However, the county MATP must receive a signed registration form from you within 30 days of when your services begin.
Once you are registered, you will be sent more written information about how to use MATP services. Your registration is good as long as you continue to receive Medical Assistance.